Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Kickin' It in Djodja

Well, we've been in Yogyakarta (or as the locals call it, Djodjakarta) for about four days now and feel completely at home! People in the street back off when you say "no, thank you", everywhere you go people are smiling at you, we are staying at an extremely clean guesthouse for approximately five dollars a night, and we're meeting lots of cool fellow backpackers from around the world. We're quite sad to be leaving such a beautiful city full of such kind people. The locals tell us we won't find the same situation in Jakarta, where we are heading tomorrow.

When we first arrived in Djodja, we were extremely on guard and were wary of anyone trying to help us in any way... after all, that's how we kept getting screwed over in Bali! Looking back on our cool behaviour the night we arrived, I feel a little bit bad because the people in this city don't want your money. Indeed, Yogyakarta is a city renowned for it's intellectualism and rich cultural Batik heritage. Many people here have regular jobs, and almost everyone speaks English. When they see a foreigner walking down the street, they just want to meet you and find out where you're from and, most often, they want to know what we think of their city, which they are extremely proud of.

At the moment a presidential election is underway and you can feel the apprehension everywhere. People are afraid of what will happen on election day. Indonesia is still a very new democratic state and not everyone is convinced that a handover will happen smoothly and ethically. I love asking new Indonesian acquaintances which of the 36 political hopefuls they support and why. Everyone in Djodja reeeeeally loves their Sultan, and who he supports, they tend to support. They know he has their best interests in mind. It's so interesting.

When a language barrier comes into play, mere hand gestures and big smiles really make a difference. The other day we were walking down a side street after buying some batik art at an art school. As we passed by a man wearing a tee shirt bearing the slogan of the most popular political party, we heard him say something that sounded like "snake". We stopped and gave him a quizzical look and once again he said, "snake" and pointed to a bucket in the road. Sure enough, inside the bucket was a medium sized python. I was like, woah.

"Can I touch it?", I motioned.

He nodded his head.

"Biting?", I motioned.

He shook his head and smiled.

So I patted the python on the head and took a picture. Then I pointed to the political slogan on his shirt and, because this particular party cares more for the poor, gave him the thumbs up sign. Then he said, "Wait, big snake". Then he proceeded to take this HUGE python from a box and, without a word, put it around my neck. Then, of course, Pat had a turn as well, and they kept showing us the different coloured pythons they had lying around. They didn't want anything from us, they simply wanted to see our expressions when they brought out the snakes- they had a great time showing them off! I should mention that, in Java, they enjoy a nice python curry every now and then. However, after my experience with such a beautiful reptile I would never consider trying the delicacy. I've always liked snakes.

When we were looking for the art school in the first place, a kind soul at the Djodja museum told us the general direction in which to go. He said, "Don't worry, if you get lost, just ask anyone to help you and they will. We like to help foreigners here".

Well, we made it as far as his directions led and, taking his advice, asked the first guy we saw on the street to help us.

"Of course! Please come with me. I am just going home and my house is right next to the art centre".

On the way to the art centre, our new friend informed us (rather excitedly) that he was, in fact, on his way back from the hospital as his wife had just given birth to his first child, a son. He was beaming as we congratulated him profusely. He told us about how they chose names for a new baby in Java. All members of the family write down a name they like and put it in a hat, then, as our friend said "It is fair" when they pick the names.

He asked me if I would like to contribute a name for his baby and I was slightly taken aback- what an honour! He had known me for a whole five minutes and he genuinely wanted me to pick a name for his child. I said, "OK, I pick Ian. That is my father's name". I told him how to spell it, and we arrived at the art centre, and he went off on his way to tell his family the great news. So there ya go, Dad. There may be a little boy in Java named after you.

We went to the great Buddhist temple, Borobudur, today. It is the largest remnant of what was once a major religion in Indonesia, during the times of trade with the Chinese empire. It was extremely beautiful. I think Patrick's and my favourite thing about temples is not so much the construction, even though all temples are beautifully and painstakingly well done and we certainly appreciate their aesthetic beauty, but the fact that every temple we see is set in some of the most beautiful scenery one could lay their eyes on. This was no exception, with great smoking volcanoes looming in the background and mist shrouded palm forests in the foreground. The next post will only be pictures from Gunung Bromo and Borobudur. Until then, much love! Off to Jakarta tomorrow!




Typical Indonesian restaurant; you pick what you want and pay as you go. Usually, the food is cooked in the morning and sits around all day. I haven't tried it yet (I hear it is safer in Sumatra).



Pat and the python.


My initial reaction to the snakey. You could feel his very powerful muscles- I wouldn't want to be caught in a squeeze with one of these guys!



The first python that was pointed out to us. Small guy!



Those red flags are all in support of the political party that supposedly cares more for the poor. The leader is a woman, so obvs I'm down with this one winning, too!


Batik print everywhere! I got a cute little dress for less than four bucks.


The main market area on Malioboro Street.


Lots of food stalls with yummy smelling (and, if they're selling durian fruit, not so yummy smelling) food.



The main mode of public transport.


Lots of food, as is with every market!

1 comment: